A scrumptious meatless dish – candy potato black bean enchiladas chock filled with scrumptious and good-for-you greens, brown rice, and salsa. This meal is a fast dinner and household pleasant!
Candy potato black bean enchiladas
These enchiladas are certainly one of my all time favourite recipes! I made them each few weeks all through school and so they had been one of many first dinners I made my husband as a newlywed. My husband was satisfied a meal wasn’t a meal if it didn’t have meat, till these vegetarian enchiladas. These had been what satisfied him that veggie meals may be as equally filling and flavorful as a meat crammed dish.
On this submit, I’ll stroll by means of find out how to make these candy potato black bean enchiladas, find out how to prime the enchiladas, some variation concepts (together with a fast home made taco seasoning recipe to make use of on this recipe), and find out how to make forward and/or freeze your enchiladas. Let’s get began!
Easy methods to make candy potato black bean enchiladas
Numbered pictures all through this submit correlate to the descriptions beneath.
- Sauté: begin by including the candy potato to a big skillet with olive oil. Sauté over medium excessive warmth till largely tender and beginning to brown on the surface, about 7 minutes. Add within the candy peppers and saute for an additional 3-Four minutes.
- Add seasonings & garlic: stir round they will get aromatic and extra potently flavored.
- Scale back the warmth: we don’t need the garlic or seasonings to burn, so cut back the warmth as wanted.
- Add in black beans: heat by means of the black beans and get them coated within the seasonings.
- Cilantro, salsa, and lime juice: add all of them in.
- Mix: combine to mix
- Rice: add within the cooked and barely cooled brown rice (leftover rice is nice right here!)
- Combine: toss gently and filling is completed! Make certain to offer the filling a style and modify any seasonings (salt, pepper, and many others.)
- Fill tortilla: add 1/2 cup of the filling right into a tortilla together with some freshly grated cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place within the pan.
- Prime: add enchilada sauce and grated cheese on prime after which bake! As soon as they’re baked, it’s all in regards to the toppings (learn extra beneath)
What to prime your candy potato black bean enchiladas with
No matter you wish to prime enchiladas with will seemingly work right here. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Contemporary lime: the juice and particular person wedges so folks can add extra to their candy potato black bean enchiladas.
- Contemporary cilantro: finely diced or an enormous handful when you love cilantro
- Pico de gallo or a contemporary tomato: add a scoop of pico or cube up some cherry tomatoes so as to add on prime
- Contemporary avocado: thinly sliced or chopped. (A scoop of guacamole additionally works nice)
- Bitter cream: fats free or lite work nice! It’s also possible to use plain Greek yogurt.
- Jalapeños: if you would like some warmth, add some thinly sliced jalapeños proper on prime
- Add an onion: add 1/2 cup diced yellow onion when sautéing the candy potatoes.
- Candy peppers: you possibly can go away them out or substitute a inexperienced or poblano pepper.
- Roasted candy potato enchiladas: when you’d fairly have roasted candy potatoes (as an alternative of cooked within the skillet), try this submit for making roasted sweet potatoes; use these on this recipe as an alternative.
- Make a black bean candy potato enchilada casserole: as an alternative of enchiladas by following this recipe.
- Scale back energy: you should use reduced-fat cheddar cheese (and fewer of it) and fats free bitter cream
- Add warmth: when you like issues spicy, add in a can of fire-roasted diced inexperienced chiles. You could possibly additionally add in a diced jalapeño pepper to the enchiladas. One other manner so as to add extra warmth can be so as to add an additional 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/eight teaspoon cayenne pepper.
For these enchiladas, be happy to make use of a taco seasoning packet to make issues straightforward. For those who’d wish to make your personal taco seasoning, right here’s my recipe for that:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon superb sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
Merely whisk collectively these seasonings in a small bowl and use rather than the taco seasoning packet.
Easy methods to make forward of time (meal prep)
Once I was in school, I might put together the “filling” for these enchiladas (normally doubling it to freeze half) on a lighter college day/meal prep day after which have it prepared to enter tortillas come dinner-time.
So when you have a prep day, that is the right meal to do beforehand! As soon as the filling it accomplished, you simply stuff the tortillas, cowl with sauce + cheese, and bake. For those who do make the filling beforehand although, heat it up in a skillet earlier than filling up the tortillas (or the insides of your enchiladas shall be chilly). You don’t actually wish to prepare dinner these for longer than the time indicated with the cheese on it. (You possibly can bake with out the cheese for about 15-20 minutes coated after which uncover and add cheese and prepare dinner till melted)
These enchiladas make a fantastic freezer meal!
The wonderful thing about making black bean enchiladas is that you may simply make an enormous batch of them and freeze some for later. Right here’s how to do this:
- Put together the enchiladas as you usually would, however don’t bake. (Make certain they’re in a freezer protected pan)
- Place a layer of plastic wrap proper on prime of the pan to forestall freezer burn after which cowl with a couple of layers of foil ensuring the seal is tight.
- Freeze the enchiladas for as much as Three months.
- Bake frozen enchiladas (no must thaw) by eradicating the plastic wrap and foil and baking them for 50-60 minutes or till totally heated by means of.
- The “filling” (all the things contained in the enchiladas) may also be frozen. Thaw within the fridge in a single day after which put together in keeping with the recipe to make enchiladas.
- Here are some more tips for freezing meals.
Extra candy potato recipes:
Candy Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
A scrumptious meatless dish – candy potato black bean enchiladas chock filled with scrumptious and good-for-you greens, brown rice, and tomato salsa. This meal is a fast dinner and household pleasant!
Candy Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Servings: 12 enchiladas
raw (or 2 cups cooked rice)
candy bell peppers,
very thinly sliced
diced candy potatoes,
in 1/2 inch cubes
can (15.25 ounces)
drained and rinsed
1 and three/4
separated, I used gentle
freshly squeezed lime juice
purple enchilada sauce
freshly shredded cheddar cheese,
white or whole-wheat tortillas
(I like utilizing TortillaLand; not sponsored)
- Optionally available: bitter cream, further salsa, cilantro, inexperienced onions
BROWN RICE: Observe bundle instructions to prepare dinner one 1 cup of brown rice. So when it’s cooked, it would yield about 2 cups. Or use leftover cooked brown rice.
SWEET POTATOES & PEPPERS: in the meantime, peel and chop (into small items) the candy potatoes. In a big skillet (12 inches), mix 2 tablespoons olive oil and the candy potatoes over medium-high warmth. Prepare dinner till the potatoes start to get tender (about eight minutes) after which add within the 1 cup of thinly sliced candy peppers (take away stems and seeds and chop) with the final tablespoon of olive oil. Prepare dinner for an extra 3-Four minutes.
SPICES: add within the taco seasoning packet or home made taco seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes or till aromatic. Add within the 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans. Stir for an additional 30 seconds to a minute.
FINISH FILLING: take away the skillet from the warmth, and stir in 1 cup salsa, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1/Four cup chopped cilantro. Stir. Add within the cooked rice and once more stir to mix. Style the filling and modify seasonings to choice (improve any spices; add salt and pepper).
ENCHILADA PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 levels F and grease a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray. Add the remaining 3/Four cup of salsa to the underside of the pan. Use the again of a spoon to unfold it evenly.
FORM ENCHILADAS: Scoop 1/2 cup of the combination onto the left aspect of a white or whole-wheat tortilla. Sprinkle with a handful of cheddar cheese — about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons. Roll up tightly. Place the enchilada seam-side down into the ready pan. Repeat till the pan is stuffed with enchiladas. (I normally match eight in a 9 x 13 pan and save the remaining Four to make in an eight x eight pan).
BAKE: Pour 1 cup purple enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or till the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are warmed by means of.
GARNISH: Take away and revel in instantly with bitter cream, further salsa or freshly chopped tomatoes, extra cilantro, extra limes/lime juice, and/or ripe avocado or guac.
Word 1: to make a “home made” taco seasoning, mix the next in a small bowl and whisk collectively: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon superb sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper