This sizzling and tacky Maryland crab dip will get the stamp of approval from locals and out-of-towners alike. For the most effective style and texture, use recent lump crab meat and the opposite eight flavorful components listed like cream cheese, Previous Bay Seasoning, and cheddar cheese. Gradual cooked or baked, that is essentially the most irresistible dip. Attracts a crowd each time I make it!
Stroll into just about any Maryland bar or restaurant and also you’re certain to seek out sizzling crab dip on the menu. It’s our staple. Generally served on comfortable pretzels, generally baked in a skillet, at all times essential order. We eat it on hen (often referred to as “hen chesapeake”) or in quesadillas, however one of the simplest ways to serve sizzling tacky crab dip is with recent bread, pita wedges, celery, and/or sturdy buttery crackers.
Right here in Maryland, WE LOVE OUR CRAB DIP.
This Sizzling Crab Dip Is:
- Made with jumbo lump crab
- Tacky dip meets crab cakes
- Addictively creamy
- Previous Bay seasoned
- Baked or slow-cooked, your alternative
- Additional fast, no pre-cooking
- Nothing lower than an enormous hit, assured
This does Maryland justice!
Search the web or your cookbooks and also you’ll discover thousands and thousands of crab dip recipes. They’re all centered round– you guessed it– crab, however the extras can differ. I’ve tasted a whole lot of crab dips (I’m surrounded by it!) and I do know what works– and what doesn’t.
The Greatest Crab Dip Substances
These are the 9 components it is advisable to make the most effective Maryland crab dip on the planet. And that’s not an exaggeration. I’ve locals who swear by this one!!!!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the bottom of this dip. No substitutions right here.
- Mayonnaise: I don’t like mayonnaise and I like this crab dip. It thins out the cream cheese and provides that essential creamy dip texture.
- Bitter Cream: Some crab dip recipes name for simply mayo and cream cheese, however I like to interrupt down these heavier components with tangy bitter cream. Belief me, it really works.
- Cheddar Cheese: You should utilize sharp cheddar or white cheddar if desired, however don’t use one other cheese that has a stronger taste as a result of we don’t wish to overpower the crab.
- Floor Mustard: A touch of mustard is a key ingredient in any Maryland crab cake recipe and we’re utilizing one thing related right here, too. Floor mustard is important– and don’t fear, you don’t style mustard.
- Lemon Juice: Recent, balancing taste!
- Previous Bay Seasoning: This salty spice is a staple in Maryland, particularly with crab.
- Worcestershire Sauce: A lot taste. You don’t want lots– simply 2 teaspoons.
- Lump Crab Meat: For the very best crab dip, I like to recommend utilizing lump crab meat or a mixture of lump crab meat and backfin meat. Lump crab meat ensures these massive mouthwatering bites of crab.
A touch of sizzling sauce is scrumptious, too!
How you can Make Sizzling Crab Dip
You’re solely about 30-35 minutes away from this bliss!
- Beat the cream cheese first. You need it tremendous creamy and easy.
- Beat in the remainder of the components besides the crab.
- Fold within the crab. Keep away from utilizing a mixer for this step since you don’t wish to fully break down the lump crab.
- Gradual cook dinner or bake. Gradual cook dinner on low for 3-Four hours till sizzling and creamy or bake in a casserole dish, pie dish, or oven-safe skillet for 25 minutes or till browned and bubbly across the edges.
The method is fast, easy, and foolproof so long as you’re utilizing the best components. A handheld or stand mixer is unquestionably useful and makes mixing simpler, however I’ve blended it collectively by hand earlier than too.
Serving Crab Dip
For serving, hold issues easy. You need the flavors from the dip to shine, so don’t serve with crackers or breads with overpowering flavors. Sturdy baguette slices, artisan bread (pictured!), or crackers are key so you may scoop up all that lump crab.
Greatest Crab Meat for Crab Dip
On the market, you will discover canned, frozen, or recent (refrigerated) crab meat. Unrefrigerated canned crab meat doesn’t have the freshest taste (clearly). If it is advisable to use canned, search for canned crab meat within the refrigerated part of your market. The brisker the crab meat, the higher the crab dip will style.
Crab meat labeled “hand-picked”or “fresh-picked” is absolutely cooked and offered in plastic tubs by the butcher or seafood counter. That is what I at all times use for crab cakes and crab dip and extremely encourage you to make use of the identical right here. It’s pricier than canned, however you could have a very completely different (and recent) product. Don’t fear, all the opposite components are fairly cheap, particularly if you are going to buy store-brand or discover them on sale.
Ask your grocer the place to seek out the freshest crab meat within the retailer. I buy recent crab meat offered in a 1 lb plastic tub from the seafood counter.
This DOES NOT disappoint!
Extra 5 Star Appetizers
For the most effective texture, use lump crab meat and every ingredient listed. No substitutions! Serve with crusty baguette, sturdy crackers, celery, or recent pita. For extra success ideas and to be taught which crab meat to make use of, see weblog submit above.
- eight ounces (224g) block cream cheese, room temperature*
- half of cup (120g) mayonnaise
- 3/Four cup (180g) bitter cream
- 1 and 1/Four cups (155g) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- half of teaspoon floor mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 and three/Four teaspoons Previous Bay seasoning*
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound recent lump crab meat*
- non-compulsory: 2 dashes of sizzling sauce (or to style)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- In a big mixing bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high velocity till easy and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the mayonnaise, bitter cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, floor mustard, lemon juice, Previous Bay seasoning, worcestershire sauce, and sizzling sauce (if utilizing). Beat on medium-high velocity till mixed. Utilizing a spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold within the lump crab meat. In the event you used sizzling sauce, style, then add extra sizzling sauce if desired.
- Switch to a 9-inch (or barely bigger) baking pan, pie dish, or oven-safe skillet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/Four cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till sizzling and bubbly across the edges.
- Serve heat.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the microwave or in a 350°F (177°C) till warmed all through.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You’ll be able to absolutely assemble this crab dip, cowl tightly, and refrigerate for as much as 2 days earlier than baking, gradual cooking, and serving. You too can freeze the unbaked or baked (and cooled) crab dip for as much as Three months. Thaw then bake as directed or, if already baked, thaw and warmth in a 350°F (177°C) for 25 minutes or till warmed all through.
- Be sure you’re utilizing a block of cream cheese, not cream cheese unfold. I’ve used decrease fats components with no drawback like decrease fats (not fats free) cream cheese, bitter cream, and mayo, however the dip clearly tastes richer with the total fats variations.
- Previous Bay: Use 2 teaspoons for a spicier kick. (I often do!)
- Which Crab Meat to Use: For any questions concerning which crab meat to make use of, see Greatest Crab Meat for Crab Dip within the weblog submit above. I extremely advocate recent (refrigerated) lump crab meat.
- Gradual Cooker: Comply with steps 2 and three. As a substitute of transferring to a baking dish, spoon into your gradual cooker (don’t add the 1/Four cup of cheese on high) and cook dinner on low for 3-Four hours till sizzling and creamy. Stir sometimes because it cooks. Over the last 30 minutes, sprinkle 1/Four cup reserved cheddar cheese on high.
Key phrases: crab dip, crab, appetizer