Simple Hen Divan is a flavorful and tacky hen and broccoli casserole. With NO mayo or cream of mushroom soup and some more healthy swaps, you’ll get pleasure from this modern-day contemporary spin on a basic.
This retro casserole my mother made almost my total childhood is getting a makeover at the moment and I doubt you’ll ever need to go to the opposite variations once more! The hen divan I grew up on was loaded with entire milk or cream, cream of hen soup, and typically mayo. Right now had been tossing out all of these substances whereas nonetheless making this casserole extra flavorful than ever.
Whereas this recipe requires a step or two extra, you received’t remorse making this dish from scratch — no synthetic tasting casserole right here!
What’s hen divan?
As a little bit of a background on this dish, this casserole is called after the place of it’s invention (the Divan Parisian Restaurant in New York Metropolis’s Chatham Lodge). This hen casserole with broccoli and sauce was the signature dish within the early twentieth century.
Fast ingredient ideas
- Broccoli: be sure that to seize contemporary; the frozen broccoli finally ends up watery and mushy. It’s additionally crucial the marginally cooked broccoli dries out fully earlier than including it to the bottom of this casserole, in any other case it is going to make the sauce and dish watery.
- Hen: Save effort and time – seize a rotisserie hen from the shop for this recipe! Not solely does it add taste, it additionally saves a bunch of time (and also you’ll want much less seasonings general since rotisserie chickens are already seasoned.
- Cheese: freshly grated is important for the recipe. Pre-grated cheese has a waxy coating that retains it from melting easily into the sauce.
- Dijon mustard: whereas it might sound bizarre, mustard provides an unimaginable depth of taste. For those who don’t need to use dijon, I like to recommend utilizing 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder.
- Bitter Cream: whereas you need to use full fats bitter cream for a richer dinner, fats free works nice on this dish! Nice tangy taste for a lot much less energy.
Hen divan storage
Making ready forward of time
To make forward of time, assemble the casserole based on recipe directions proper up till baking (retailer panko topping in a bag individually to keep away from a soggy topping). Cowl with foil and place in fridge for as much as 2 days.
When able to bake: let casserole sit on the counter because the oven preheats to 350 levels F. Bake for 35 minutes (add panko topping combination and hold casserole nonetheless coated with foil) or till heated via, and bubbly across the edges.
To reheat this hen divan within the oven, cowl the leftovers within the casserole dish with foil and bake at 350 levels F. for 30 minutes or till warmed via.
You may as well reheat particular person servings within the microwave.
- Make and assemble based on instructions up till including the panko. Retailer panko in a bag individually to keep away from a soggy topping.
- Let casserole cool from the nice and cozy cheese sauce.
- Wrap securely with plastic wrap after which foil.
- Label and freeze for as much as Three months.
- When able to eat, thaw in a single day within the fridge (can take as much as 24 hours to totally thaw).
- Bake uncovered at 350 levels for 40-45 minutes. Add panko topping within the final 10 minutes of baking.
- Hen divan with ritz crackers: you need to use crushed up Ritz crackers rather than the Panko, however will probably be much less crunchy! (For those who’re not conversant in Panko, learn up on it here!)
- Hen divan recipe with mayo: change some or the entire bitter cream with mayo. I additionally suggest including 1-2 teaspoons contemporary lemon juice if utilizing mayo.
- Swap up veggies: as a substitute of broccoli strive asparagus or frozen peas.
- Hen divan with curry: many recipes name for curry powder; be at liberty so as to add 1/Four to 1 full teaspoon to the sauce of this recipe. If including curry powder, I additionally suggest including 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Hen divan with rice: to have rice already added into the casserole dish, do this comparable recipe.
What to serve with hen divan
- We like serving hen divan over rice finest (minute rice for an excellent faster facet!)
- It’s additionally continuously served over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles
- For facet dishes a big backyard salad (equivalent to this Olive Garden Salad copycat or this Italian Salad) can be scrumptious
- Dinner rolls or garlic bread or crusty bread would create a scrumptious avenue to sop up any leftover creamy cheese sauce
Extra consolation meals favorites:
Simple Hen Divan is a flavorful and tacky hen and broccoli casserole. With NO mayo or cream of mushroom soup and some more healthy swaps, you may get pleasure from this contemporary day twist on a basic.
Servings: 6 servings
Energy: 221 kcal
(2 florets; about 11 ounces)
ready rotisserie hen,
minimize into small cubes
white all-purpose flour
(I take advantage of 1% to maintain this more healthy; skim or milk options do not work nicely)
hen inventory or broth
1 and 1/2
sharp cheddar cheese,
freshly grated, separated
fats free bitter cream
(common bitter cream can be utilized)
hen bouillon powder
1 and 1/2
garlic powder, onion powder, & dried parsley
- Superb sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
Panko (or crushed Ritz crackers)
BROCCOLI & CHICKEN: Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Begin with the broccoli. Lower into chew sized florets. Deliver a big pot of water to a rolling boil. Add in chopped broccoli and prepare dinner for Three minutes, drain and let stand to completely dry. Chop up the hen into bite-sized items to get Three cups.
SAUCE: Soften butter in a small pot over medium warmth. As soon as melted, steadily add in flour whereas whisking continuously till a thick paste varieties. Whisk for one minute after which steadily add in 1/Three cup of the milk whereas whisking continuously. Regularly add 1/Three cup hen inventory or broth whereas whisking continuously. Add in one other 1/Three cup milk, then remaining 1/Three cup inventory, and final remaining 1/Three cup milk. Whisk till fully easy. Add in 1 cup of cheese and whisk till fully easy. Add in bitter cream and whisk till easy. Stir within the hen bouillon powder, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and salt and pepper to style (I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/Four teaspoon pepper; add to style desire).
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Add the fully dry broccoli (if it is nonetheless moist, it is going to make the casserole soggy) to the bottom of a 9 x 13 ceramic casserole dish. Sprinkle the hen proper on prime. Pour the sauce over every thing and unfold to evenly coat. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over prime of sauce. In a saucepan over medium excessive warmth, soften the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add the Panko and toast, stirring continuously, till Panko is a light-weight brown and toasted. Sprinkle topping evenly over cheese. Cowl casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes or till bubbly across the edges. Take away and serve sizzling.